Sunday, 8 December 2013

The Swift Solution

End of week 3, a mixed bag of weather alternating between brilliant sun and misty drizzle. However, that did not impede the progression of the tiling on the  pigeonnier roof and all being well, it should be completed early next week, especially as the last lot of tiles were delivered on Thurs. They are for the bottom row and are slightly fluted to allow for extra ventilation and more importantly, access for the large colony of swifts which have nested in the roof  for as long as we have been here and no doubt much longer. Obviously, we have no guarantee that they'll be happy with their " renovated" home, but having  done some research and taken advice as to what to do , then we hope that they will. More on that in the spring!

Monday's site meeting brought along the mysterious electrician's assistant whom I asked to move the high voltage cable to the correct junction box as well reconnecting the power point which was a victim of his previous visit. For safety I insisted in checking that all light circuits were operational before he left- we have  had repairs apparently dealt with in the past only to find that something no longer works as soon as the tradesman zooms off in his white van- if you ever saw " A Year in Provence" then you'll know what I mean, except that they are often driving Mercedes vans nowadays.

Made a start on cleaning and treating the lounge floor  after the stove installation job. It has old terracotta tiles which need a specific dressing. Will have put all the furniture back by the time I update this!

Tuesday , a day late and apologetic, the real electrician and plumber appeared and thankfully seemed a bit more " switched on" . They wanted to plan ahead for  the removal of items from the garage before it is " deconstructed"  and their re- installation in the cellar, seems promising and now I have a date for that Mon 16th Dec.

 Unfortunately, the stove situation is not proving to be so swift- Tuesday night, received a call from the  company to say , incredibly, that they would have to return because they had not installed the ventilation system!!?? Much consternation particularly as I had asked them several times as to this, but they assured me that it was " integral".
Sam completing the south side

Alas , yet another technician laboured most of Wednesday removing part of the stove front to link up an electrical cable to a nasty white plastic box which rather spoils the look of the imposing stone surround. And yes,  if they had remembered to fit it at the correct point in the installation process, then the box would have been placed well back on the surround. Enfin, as they say here, it does mean that extra heat is circulated out and around the room, but over 4 weeks to reach that point ..... I'm sure that they'll be calling next week too- this time for their money, but given the circumstances, I'll  be taking my time over that!

Well I did intend to post this Saturday morning, but had some major power problems overnight- as in no power! Thanks to our meticulous neighbour and much running up and downstairs to test various circuits, not to mention having to balance on ladders & stools next to the lakeside to dismantle various exterior lights, we finally resolved the issue at 5pm. Amazingly this had nothing to do with the electrical adjustments made three days ago, but I am prepared now with a torch in every room and wondering what this week will bring!
Winter sun


Awaiting the birds
last cut of the grass

Swift accommodation

moving north- final side



Foggy dew







No comments:

Post a Comment